Freezer-friendly, Immune-boosting Quarantine Curry Recipe (Spinach & Cheese Curry)
Whelp. We are all stuck at home while the coronavirus makes headlines and makes history. For a lot of us, being quarantined, locked-down, or social-distancing means we are left to our own devices to cook nutritious and delicious meals… three times a day… while also restricting grocery shopping to once a week or less.
This is not just a challenge for those who are new to the kitchen — it’s a challenge for even the most seasoned home chef. Without fresh ingredients, or a last-minute ingredient run to the store, we all need to do some serious improvising when it comes to cooking.
I came across this curry recipe on Saveur and adapted it to my socially-distanced pantry and freezer. It was done in 30 minutes and was DELICIOUS! So yummy, in fact, that I only had time to snap a couple un-styled photos before it was completely devoured. Here’s a look:
It’s not pretty, but I promise it’s VERY yummy.
This recipe uses some favorite freezer-burned staples: a block of frozen spinach and s bag of frozen peas. Feel free to substitute fresh or frozen kale or other mild, cookable greens for the spinach. This recipe is all about being resourceful and using what you have available. Curry is very forgiving.
To make this recipe even more appropriate for these strange times, it is also full of natural immune-boosting ingredients. Fenugreek, garlic, spinach, and turmeric are all immunity-boosting super-foods to help keep you COVID-free (hopefully).
The whole recipe only takes 30 minutes from the time you turn the stove on, to putting that first glorious bite into your mouth.
Plus, you’ve only dirtied two pots in the process: one for the rice and one for the curry. Who has time for cleaning dishes when you are working full-time while simultaneously being a full-time teacher for your children, and still getting nutritious food on the table three times a day? NO ONE.
At least this recipe is a great way to sneak some veggies into your little ones’ diet without them batting an eye.
Pair this curry with a glass of chardonnay during your virtual office happy hour and maybe you’ll decide a socially distanced life is not actually that bad. 🙂
Quarantine Curry (Spinach, pea and cheese curry)
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/4 C. Cashews Peanuts work too
- 1/2 tsp. Whole Cumin Seeds
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Onion, minced
- 1 Block Frozen Spinach (about 10oz) Frozen Kale will work too.
- 1 C Broth or water. Plus more as needed.
- 2 Tbsp Fenugreek
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 3/4 C. Frozen Peas
- 1/4 C. Heavy Cream Milk or buttermilk also work.
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1/2 can Diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 C. Uncooked Brown Rice
- Make the rice in a medium sauce pan: Boil 2 cups of water with 1 cup of rice and a dash of salt for 25- 30 minutes.
- In a large sauce pan, simmer the cashews, fenugreek, and whole cumin in the cooking oil for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the onion and garlic and simmer for another 2 minutes, until the onion is slightly transparent.
- Add the spinach – no need to thaw in advance. Add the broth. Cook until fully thawed and wilted – about 4 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and let cook, covered, for 25-30 minutes. If too thick, or if it is sticking to the bottom, add more broth as necessary. As it cooks, it will thicken.
- Serve the curry over rice.
If you like what you see, take a minute to pin and share this recipe with all your virtual friends! Cheers!