I’m just going to gush about eggs for a minute.
Eggs are amazing. They are a low-cost source of good proteins, are low-calorie, and a delicious vehicle for hot sauce. They keep you full for a long time, come in convenient single-serving packets, and keep for a while in the fridge. And did I mention you can put hot sauce on them?
I have an egg meal at least 4x per week. Nothing for dinner? Shut up. EGGS ARE FOR DINNER!
Here are my two favorite egg dishes that pass for breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack or dinner or fourth-meal:
(make 4 servings, ~ 200 calories each)
1. Saute a bunch of veggies, sausage, beans, leftovers (anything you want to eat with your eggs) in an 11” pan (size matters in this case). Enough goods to cover the bottom of the pan.
2. Whisk 6+ eggs with a splash of milk, add salt and pepper.
3. Spread your cooked pan-stuffs evenly around the pan.
4. Pour the scrambled mixture evenly over pan-stuffs.
5. Top with greated cheese. Turn the burner to low and cover. Wait 15-20 minutes. DONT STIR IT. It’s done when it does giggle in the middle.
It basically makes a quiche without a crust (i.e.: a healthier quiche).
Cut it like a pie, slather hot sauce on it, and dive in.
The Egg Burrito
(makes 1 serving, ~300 calories)
1. Saute some veggies, beans and cooked rice (optional) in a pan with chili powder, set aside.
2. Fry an egg, keep the yolk runny, but cook the whites.
3. While those are cooking chop up cabbage, radishes, peppers, onions, avocados, and/or cilantro.
Assemble your burrito in a tortilla. I prefer josephs low carb burritos.
4. Start with a drizzle of Sriracha.
5. Add the raw veggies.
6. Add your cooked veggie mix.
7. Plop the cooked egg on top.
8. Top with grated cheese (optional) – I add plain yogurt sometimes instead of cheese.
9. Roll up that burrito and take it to pound-town. Add hot sauce to each bite (at least that’s how I do it…)
Now you know all about my obsession with eggs. If you’re an egg enthusiast, and you’re feeling adventurous, go to Chinatown and pick up some duck eggs. Those things will blow your mind (and keep you full for 24 hours!).